Skip Navigation

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply to the graduate program?
Apply online: and complete an online application. We require three letters of recommendation, a personal statement, transcripts, and TOEFL scores (for foreign students). Submitting GRE scores is optional and GRE scores are not taken into consideration by the Admissions Committee.

Test scores
Arrange for required official test scores to be sent to the appropriate graduate admissions office. Use the following code to report GRE, GMAT, and TOEFL scores for program in New Brunswick/Piscataway: 2790.

When are applications available?
The online application opens up each year in the month of September, for the following year's entry.

What is the cutoff date for applications?
The deadline to apply for the Ph.D. program is December 15 and the deadline to apply for the M.S. program is April 1.

Do you admit students in the Fall and Spring?
We only have Fall admission.

Do you offer a M.S. and Ph.D.?
Yes, we offer a Master’s and a Ph.D. program.

Is it a full time program?
We are a full time Ph.D. program. M.S. students can do a part time program under certain circumstances (people working in New Jersey corporations, for example).

Do you offer financial aid?
Yes, we offer competitive fellowships to entering first year Ph.D. students. Unfortunately we do not offer support for entering M.S. students.

What about TOEFL scores?
An official Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is required of non-native speakers of English. See the graduate admissions web site for information on minimum TOEFL scores and other requirements for international students TOEFL scores are required of all applicants whose first language is not English. Exceptions are granted for applicants who have earned a bachelor's or master's degree from a U.S. (or other English speaking country) college or university where all instruction is provided in English.

When does the admissions committee make decisions?
The Ph.D. admissions committee meets in the middle of January and you will be notified of your status concerning admission and financial aid by February. The M.S. admissions committee reviews applications periodically from January to April. You may check your status on the Graduate Admissions website. You may also email the Program Director and ask about your admission status.

What if my transcript is not in English?
You must submit both original (native) and official English translations. All translations must be literal and complete versions of the original record.

How long does it take students to complete the degree?
An average of 2 years for the Master’s and 5 years for the Ph.D.

Can I transfer credits?
Applications for transfer of credit must be approved by the Program Director. Transfer of courses will not be initiated until the student has finished the core curriculum (16:682:501, 502, 503, 504). Credit transfer must follow the Graduate School rules

Do you accept non-degree students?
We do accept non-degree students who are allowed to take two courses in a semester up to a total of 12 credits. Students should first contact the Program Director that they wish to apply as a non-matriculating student and then formally apply to the program at . The online application should include transcripts of all previous work and a personal statement. Letters of reference are not required.

Who is the person to contact if I have a question?
Dr. Gerben Zylstra, Program Director,
Ms. Lindsay Vasy, Program Administrator,